We're having some disagreements in our team, mainly surrounding the hoist mechanism. We're not sure where the hoist mechanism pulley should be placed. Some team members are saying to place it near the hoist mechanism, while others are saying to keep it on the back of the robot. Like any great debate, we found some pros and cons in our locations. After some great debating, we came to a conclusion to put the pulley on the back of the robot, due to the fact that there is more space to build, tweak, and remove the pulley.
So, the revised plan is:
1. Use eye hooks. This means the holes you drilled would need tapping(?) So the eye bolts can be threaded in.
2. The eye bolts at the bottom would be longer to act as stoppers.
3. The eye bolts at the top would be shorter to allow the nuts to slide out.
4. An additional guide bolt halfway down the length of the channels for stability.
5. Use a stranded steel rope for better strength and handling.
What we need:
1. Eye bolts with a screw size slightly larger than the current holes.
2. A way to cut these bolts without damaging the threads.
3. Tap(?) the existing holes with threads.
4. Stranded rope if the fishing line seems problematic.
5. Additional guide bolts.
The observed problems with the hoist mechanism (in no particular order)
1. The rope has a tendency to slip off. The eye-hooks would have been a better choice.
2. The overall assembly needs a fair amount of power to lift. But we hope to solve this by using a succession of gears to increase the torque.
3. The assembly is unstable as it operates. A third guide bolt is desired, but the top stopper would prevent that.
4. The fishing line we used has a tendency to get wedged between the washer and therefore get stuck.
Happy New Year! New Year, New Robot! Today Mohammed added the pulley system to the robot. Priya and Eric worked on team-based activities with the rest of the team. Yasha worked on the launcher with his dad. Rohan and Ben worked on the daily journal
Today Yasha and his dad worked on the extrusion. They added a fish-line, but unfortunately, it didn't work. We will meet up next Saturday to work on the springs for the launcher.
Today was a very busy day! Unfortunately, many members were on vacation or not at practice today, so everybody there had to pitch in double the work. Jackson and Raul worked on the extrusion, Priya and Eric were cutting the ramps to fit in the robot, Yasha was working on the launcher, Rohan was working on the daily journal, and finally Colin and Zain were working on the web-site.
Today we made a fork-lift design using white plastic tubes in order to lift up the yoga ball. Basically, we are trying to accomplish the task of lifting up the yoga ball over the robot, and into the hole for the yoga ball. Thanks to the design changes we made on the 6th and 7th, we now have space to accommodate the new fork-lift. The fork-lift will go under the ball, lift it up using an extension rod, and place it in the hole for the yoga ball. The fork-lift will be placed on the back of the robot.
Last Saturday, we tested different lengths of the spring and found which was the best. Yesterday, we put the motor on the launcher, but we ran into some difficulties, and we ended up having to move it around. Additionally, we moved the places of our motor controllers around, and my dad drilled holes for the pulley system and got pulleys mounted on the beams.
Today we made some major improvements to the robot. We changed the position of the launcher to accommodate for some additional parts we will be adding into the robot later on. The launcher is now on the side of the robot and ball will be shot in front of the robot, as opposed to the side of the robot, like it was doing before. This will also help us during autonomous because we don't have to turn the robot at a 90 degree angle to shoot, and it will "make shooting during autonomous easier, quicker, and more accurate" according to Mr. Sasha.
Today, our mecanum wheels arrived! We had a meeting over the break and made the chassis and added the mecanum wheels. The meeting was at Yasha's house once again. The mecanum wheels look much better and seem to have a positive impact on the speed of the robot, but we will have to test the robot with more stuff on it, with a different field and different drivers, with different battery levels, etc., till we can finally give the say if they preform well or not.